Monday, August 20, 2007

settling in, finally


I am finally settling into Marburg. Here is a picture of the city - this is more or less the view I have on my half a mile walk up to my dorm. Our halls are located atop a hill, so the day must be planned carefully, since in order to come back up, you have to be willing to burn 45 minutes and brave two 'hills of death.' Since there is a dip in the road, you are truly walking 'uphill both ways.' So at least I have a story to tell my grandkids now.

The language courses here are rigorous, or maybe I feel that way since I haven't taken a German course in a long time. Still, I feel like I am learning a lot. I basically chat with every Marburger I can hold in a conversation, from the IT guy to the tour guide.

Yesterday Team Fulbright and other internationals went on an action-packed tour of the region. First a tour of a winery, then a sort of cruise down the Rhein, and finally a wine tasting. The whole thing was hopelessly touristy, but the organizers were very kind in making every effort for our trip to be a good one.

Thanks to a friend (actually the other Indian girl here), I now know about this one cafe where I can get free wireless (to the tune of overpriced drinks, but whatever). German keyboards, as well as despairingly short hours for the computer lab were beginning to get to me...

No comments: